Sunday, April 07, 2024

Letter from Wendy McElroy to Murray Rothbard - How Wendy Made it To Fox News

 

Letter sent to Wendy at the time John Fund was slandering my daughter, Morgan and myself.  John Fund arranged, as payoff for her assistance, to get her the job, for which, otherwise, she would not even have been considered.  

These behind the doors practices were routine for Fund, which is how he stopped the publication  the article by John Connolly about Fund's ethics on September 4, 2001.  The article, titled, Sex, Lies, and the Tape, was to have been published in The letter to Fund from his attorney came to me from Morgan, who found it tossed on the floor in the apartment they shared in New York in 2001.  The prior year, John had been living with Morgan part-time (when I was not in New York) at my apartment in the Rivergate.  

I closed the apartment in January 200   1 because Morgan had failed to keep her promise to be to get a job and support herself.  Evidently, she was hoping to marry Fund, who had been her lover since 1998.  She supplied me with the date herself.  Listen to the tape she made of a conversation between herself and Fund on RuthlessPeople.info at Sex, Lies, and The Tape.

John Fund was recruited as an asset for the NeoCons very early on.  Through the influence of John Novak, of Evans and Novak, where he did an internship, he was hired on at the Wall Street Journal, moving up until he was on the Editorial Board.  

I had made this possible for him by doing a fundraiser  for him in California in 1982.  We called it Solvency Day, as Fund told us the LP in California was refusing to pay him for the work he had done on the campaign in Northern California.  So I grudgingly agreed to be Roasted.  Janice Vargo put on the event.  INVITATION  More on what was going on at the time. Solvency Day Context.  All proceeds were delivered to Fund by Janice.

Flash forward to 1997.  

Morgan had been jilted by Eugene Volokh,who she had hoped to marry, again, making it unnecessary for her to find a paying job.  Morgan had met Eugene when he spoke at the Conference I had put on in Santa Barbara in honor of Roger McBride, who had asked me to do so as a start-up effort for his planned Republican Liberty Caucus. He asked me in person at the conference held in 1994, which he funded.   Unfortunately, Roger died  in March of 1995.  He had told me his paid staffer would supply me with the needed information, and eventually I did receive a mailing list with 3,000 addresses.  But when we did the mailing over 2,000 of these came back as addressee unknown.  By then, the event was well advanced and the speakers invited, and deposits made, so I had to continue.

Later, I realized that Roger had also been deceived. His employee, name withheld at the moment since he changed his name at least once, had most likely added the phony names to justify asking for more money from Roger.  

I was glad to have held the convention because, in my mind, it provided a memorial to a man who had done a lot for the Libertarian Party, from casting the electoral vote which made the LP shoot up in public awareness, to Roger McBride's own inspiring campaign in 1976.  But I did not forget the intent was to promote this ideological incursion into the Republican Party. His book, A New Dawn for America, remains the best campaign book ever put out by a Libertarian candidate for president.   

It is Roger who should be credited for starting the Republican Liberty Caucus.  Eric Rittberg was employed by Roger for building a mailing list, I understood. 

However, because it was Roger's intent to promote the Republican Liberty Caucus to change the direction of the GOP, I took this into account when inviting the speakers.  All of the speakers were aware of this.  Three of the twenty-five speakers included Eugene VolokhBob Poole, and Shawn Steele, then Chairman of the Republican Party of California, were only 3 of the 25 speakers who spoke.  Afterwards, a group of us began planning the next steps but this was interrupted by health problems for me and in January 1997 an unexpected action by the IRS, which commanded my full attention. 

My then husband, Craig Franklin, had gone to the hospital after telling me he was diabetic and also that we were about to lose both of our houses, one in Santa Barbara, and the other in the San Fernando Valley, because of a garnishment by the IRS. The documentation is at You Are Not Paranoid, the IRS is out to get you.

 

No comments: